Friday, November 14, 2008

The Guardian's London 2012 Olympic Mascot Competition

Following on from previous post, on the call by London 2012 organisers for designers to who want to design the London 2012 mascot, the Guardian newspaper asked readers to send them their designs. The Guardian has now published some of the mascot designs sent in by their readers.

Let's say, they're not all up to professional standards, but they're quite entertaining! Get on over to their site to have a look. As the Guardian site states that images are public domain, I’ll post a couple of them here that stood out for me:

London 2012 Olympic Mascot - Trafalgar The Pidgeon
Trafalgar the Pidgeon, by Danny Ihns

For some reason, this one clicks with me! It's probably not that he's supposed to appeal to the youth audience with his skateboard helmet and headphones - I think it's because he reminds me somehow of Eddie the Eagle, who's an Olympic Hero if there ever was one!

London 2012 Olympic Mascot - Dodgee - the Olympic Hoodie
Dodgee - the Olympic Hoodie, by Aaron Robinson

What can I say! This is a classic! And probably my favourite...

Anyway, thanks to all the people who sent in their London 2012 mascots, particularly to Danny and Aaron. Thanks guys! When the official mascot is chosen by the London 2012 organisers, I'll be coming back to these ones to see if the official mascot's as good!

1 comment:

Julian said...

I've just see the 2012 Olympic Mascots. They are amazing. The whole back story is brilliant and the symbolism is well thought through. 'Wenlock' and 'Mandeville' are two futuristic characters forged from two cast off pieces of iron. There is a 4 minute animation of their creation. It's fun and little stroke of genius. Which is very encouraging after such a dreadful logo design. I reckon everyone will take them to their hearts. Something for Britain to be proud of. Yey!!!