Monday, August 25, 2008

Introducing The London Olympics Blog

As the highly successful Bejing Olympic Games close, all eyes turn to London, where the 2012 Olympic Games will be held.

London Bus At Beijing Olympics Closing Ceremony
Photo by rich115 - License

It's still 4 years away, but it seems like a good time to launch a blog that will follow the build up all the way from the close of the last Olympics all the way through to the Closing Ceremony in 2012.

What are my qualifications? Simply put: I love the Olympics, I've lived in the UK and I'm a blogger. That's it! I'm not a part of the London Olympic organisation. I no longer live in the UK. But I'm going to follow events and write about them, because I'm passionate about the London Olympics.

Will I go to the London Olympics in 2012? I'd love to, but it's probably unlikely. My track record isn't good. I'm Australian and had tickets to a football semi final during the Sydney Olympics, but I missed it because I moved to the US a couple of weeks beforehand. I lived just outside of Beijing for two years, but moved back to Australia 3 months before the Beijing Olympics. So in all likelihood, I probably won't make London 2012 - although you never know, I could be third time lucky!

So, will the London Olympics be able to match the success of the Beijing Olympics? Well it's a hard act to follow, but they'll give it a good go. I expect they'll try for something with a different feel rather than trying to compete with Beijing directly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things pan out over the next 4 years.

No comments: